Where to find clarity in the midst of struggle and interaction
A Focusing Introductory Learning Package for the Healing professions
Helping others in therapy is rewarding, and it can also be challenging on many levels. You are not only constantly interacting with clients and their struggles, but also with your unique responses in relationship to them.
You can sense your responses in your body, sometimes as intense emotions, thoughts, self-criticism and doubts – or as vague sense and unclear feelings. At times you might find yourself in reactive states. And it is hard to turn towards and be with those struggles in an open and accepting way.
Instead, imagine to be clear and confident – just by relating in subtle ways to your experiential process. For me, clear understanding of one’s own processes is crucial for at least three areas of your work as healing profession.
1) Self-care. This area and set of skills will be the main focus of our training.
2) Feeling yourself in the relational space of therapy. This has a lot to do with self-care as well as how you are able to interact as therapist.
3) Helping the client to pause, sense, and relate in a meaningful way to herself. This area develops according to the depth of your own experience with process.
In this class we go through an Inner Relationship Focusing Level 1 training, which focuses on experiencing and supporting your own process. This includes following learning:
· Self-in-Presence. How to adopt an attitude of non-judgmental openness, curiosity and not-knowing. How to create safety and trust as prerequisites for inner growth.
· Bodily felt Sense. How to support and turn towards any experience (emotion, thought, action) that arises in you as response to the moment, in therapy/work or in your private life. How to work with experience not yet in words.
· Inner Relationship. How to deepen, step-by-step, your inner relationship with any issue you want to understand better. This might be something that happened in the past, or something that wants to happen in the future.
· High quality of Awareness. The Do’s and Don’ts of a high quality of awareness, and what happens to process if you do what you are used to do (for example asking questions; interpreting; analyzing)
· Listening skills: How to listen in a way that supports process, helping it to form more clearly so that meaningful felt shifts with a sense of relief and understanding can occur.
· Partnership skills: How to work successfully in a Focusing partnership for self-care, clarification of unclear issues, emotional reactions, symptoms etc.
In addition to the 2 workshop days, you will work in pairs directly with Elmar on Skype or phone for at least 1 hour. This enables you to start applying what you learned in the workshop with more confidence and clarity.
This Focusing introductory Learning Package includes:
– 2 days of group workshop (10-17)
– Theory on basic Focusing concepts
– Focusing skills training in pairs and triads
– In-depth discussions relevant for Healing Professionals
– Handouts with all relevant exercises and Focusing protocols
– 1 hour private paired sessions on Skype or phone with Elmar Kruithoff
– Focusing partnerships and exercises in between workshop days
Is the Focusing Introductory Learning Package for you?
My experience has shown me that this program is fitting if you are willing to:
– Slow down – so you can gently listen to yourself and patiently discover what’s really true for you.
– Approach life with the curiosity of a “beginner’s mind” – and be open to learning new ideas.
– Be part of an active group with one common goal – to support each other and be supported because that’s how you learn best.
Presenter: Elmar Kruithoff
Time: Thursday 1. June 2017 10 -17 & Friday 2. June 2017 Kl. 10 – 17, and 1 Skype Consultation
Place: Institut for EmotionsFokuseret Terapi Danmark, Ringstedgade 10, Baghuset, 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Language: Easy English (and Danish)
Price: 4.000 Dkr. (550 €)
Bank: 8411-4083983 —- IBAN: DK3084110004083983
When you register, you agree that: Registration is final at payment and binding after 10. May 2017, where after the registration fee is not returned if participants cancel unless its possible to find af replacement from the waiting list.
Tilmelding er endelig ved betaling og bindende efter den 10.5.2017, hvorefter kursusgebyr ikke tilbagebetales ved afbud med mindre der findes erstatning fra venteliste.
About the seminar teacher
Elmar Kruithoff is a psychologist and the founder of xf at www.focusing-center.com, an international business that teaches personal development skills based on Eugene T. Gendlin’s Focusing. Elmar works with people who are committed to improving their creativity, decision-making, leadership skills, relationships and self-care by exploring their inner experience as well as changing their inner behavior towards themselves. He is the author of The Focusing Cards, a new teaching material for Inner Relationship Focusing, as well as the Focusing App in several languages.